Sunday, July 12, 2009

IS 8 HOURS TOO LONG A DAY FOR THE UNEMPLOYED?

FILLING IN THE DAYS
The photo to the left shows me entertaining my old work mates at our sales gallery in Seef last week . The property market is still slow, so a chance for a coffee and a tune with Greg was well received. Oh yeah, I had to finally hand my lap top back.

I bought a new lap top during the week. It is so amazing how quickly you can arrive home with a computer these days and be on-line so quickly; 15 minutes I think it took.

JOB HOAXES
If your are applying for jobs on-line, beware of the hoaxes. After receiving an on-line interview questionairre from one of the sites about 10 days ago. I answered the questions with great clarity, confidence and professionalism. Last weekend I received a job offer letter. The company had a web site, I spoke with the HR guy when I rang their office in Abu Dhabi, the offer was very good...start date, travel arrangements..............HOAX

MOTIVATION
After the high of a lucrative job offer, the let down when you confirm that it was all a hoax is quite immense. So last week, the early morning squash and swimming seemed to get later and less regular. I also started getting into the habit of staying up later, watching movies, checking emails etc. I plan on bringing this back into a more regimented structure this week.


MY BLOG
The blogging experience is full of learning, frustration and love. I have sent out about 75 invitations to view the blog via email and yesterday placed it on my facebook page. I now have 12 followers, 4 comments and 44 people have viewed it. I think a few of those views might be me) I have had one early notification of a new Bahrain job opening (thanks P). Some people think it is unprofessional, some are in 2 minds and others think it is sensational. It is like a micro web site, and reviewing the stats is always an exciting task and part of the appeal to new media vehicles.

This week I plan on sending it to numerous other contacts from my social and business network. I believe those that have become 'followers' will get an automated notification once I post the new blog. Please let me know if this is the case.

JOB PROPSPECTS

QATAR & ABU DHABI
Most of the jobs that are coming up to apply for on-line seem to be in Qatar and Abu Dhabi. So if you are looking for work in the region, these two places seem to be fairly active. I have some friends that have already moved over with better job prospects. It would be ashame to leave Bahrain though.


BAHRAIN
Unfortunately, not a lot of openings in Bahrain and sadly will diminish further over the next 2 months of summer. As mentioned previously, one early alert has been kindly sent to me about a future opening. I am hoping this blog will continue to unearth these early and as yet unadvertised jobs...so come on, there has to be more out there you can be telling me about - this blog is a two way street.

I am meeting Daniel from Talent Partners tomorrow morning for a chat and see what they have on the books that might be needing the Greg M> touch.

I am in talks with the most lovely of Bahrain business families about a part time partnership with a new business venture. This is very exciting and will hopefully lead to revenue and profits some time down the track. At the moment it is still at refinement of the business plan stage.

SOCIAL
I had a great afternoon yesterday with some freinds. He a photographer, she is a modelling, talent and events director who studied fashion in London. I mention this because it has aroused in me, one of my grand plan ideas to re-invent the male dress code. That's another story, but I think males are so limited with what they can wear compared to women. So I would love to instigate an exciting collection of male fashion concepts. Anybody interested in working with me on this? Yes I know I currently have too much time on my hands - but from little things, big things grow.

Jane and I watched the moon shimmer on Bahrain's calming waters while having dinner on a beach in Bahrain on Friday night. If anyone can guess which beach, they win a dinner for two with Greg and Jane. POST A COMMENT OR RING ME TO WIN. (RAYNER, you cannot enter this competition, you already get enough free meals)

So keep the word out, that Greg Millard is looking, become a 'follower' by clicking the 'follow blog' button and post comments if you have got something to say.

Thanks and bye for now
Greg M>
+ 973 3946 4123

PS = Just had a call from Clarendon Parker for an interview tomorrow. So more on that next time.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Tania, Just saw your comment from my 1st entry. Thanks for Following and thanks for your wishes. Keep on keeping on. Cheers, Greg M>

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousJuly 13, 2009

    Good morning Greg. Thanks for sending me the link. All the best with your various projects.

    Sukrit

    ReplyDelete
  3. The rules of your competition are completely unfair.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a trick question....all the beaches are basically private. Not the Ritz, unless you gate crashed. Or, it could be the land by Seef, where the fishermen go.....not a beach, but it does go into the water there.

    And by the way, you need to spell check...."Job Propspects"? Is that like a "job prospect"? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Greg, great idea, very creative! Good luck with the job hunting and I'll keep my ears open for any opportunities whilst following your blog. All the best, Tony C.

    ReplyDelete